Vape Juice, E-liquid?
Breaking down the lingo is always something that helps initiate the curious into more curious. It’s publicly unknown that vaping is a safe and effective way to kick tobacco-based habits. This is why we have so many issues with vape regulations in 2018. It’s strange, but we’re here to bring you effective knowledge to deal with vaping in the world at large.
As an independent vape ware store, we also find it our responsibility to help educate our clientele and the vast world that finds our wholesale products online. So today we’re tackling the immense subject matter or E-liquid and salt-based e-liquid since our store carries both.
Vape juice comes in many forms, as the substance is used to fill cartridges or tanks used by electronic cigarettes and rebuildable vapes or Mods. The vaping liquid is also called e-juice, there aren’t typically many classes or families of this product, just a variety of names derived from how people intend to use the product.
Vape liquid is made to do just that, vaporize when it passes through the heating chamber of your device, making it simple to use and based on other variable will have similar mouthfeel and texture like smoking a cigarette or cigar. Many vape juices try to mimic this action entirely, while others search for new and creative ways to make this action into a new experience all its own.
Vape devices are either loaded or can be loaded with a wicking material like cotton to absorb the liquid and transport it to the heating coils. Once it is treated with heat, which can be varying temperatures depending upon the equipment you’ve got, it’s ready for vaporization.
There are ultimately five basic ingredients of vape juice, and others can be added for alternate flavors or other factors. Here are the five main ingredients:
- propylene glycol (PG) Propylene glycol is an odorless and flavorless clear fluid but is known to act as a vessel for flavor. You’ll likely find it listed as an ingredient in sports drinks such as gatorade or powerade and the like. In addition, propylene glycol is used for carrying medicines used in inhalers for treating asthma. Propylene glycol is generally associated with the stronger throat hit, making it an ingredient desirable for those trying to quite heavy smoke cigarettes or cigars.
- vegetable glycerin (VG) is a natural fluid derived from vegetables like celery stalks or cucumber. Due to its origin you can likely imagine that it’s much thicker than PG and has a taste to it. VG is widely used to preserve feeds or add flavors to a plethora of things you’ll find in the grocery store. It’s been used for many years in foods. The e-liquid that you’ll find has a stronger vegetable glycerin content will create a much more dense vapor cloud. If that sounds like the right choice for you then search for a blend of 75 percent VG and 25 percent PG. This is one way that cloudchasers work to create large, thick clouds.
- Food-grade flavorings: Flavoring are predominately delivered via PG. This is why even completely vegetable glycerin e-liquids are not considered 100 percent VG, because the flavorings come in PG form regardless. Flavorings range from literally anything the mind can create, however some people like to keep it simple and others see that the sky's the limit. As you can see thus far, vaping is vegan, free-gan, gluten free and whatever else you might be concerned about.
- A nicotine source: The nicotine used in our e-liquids is 99.89 percent pure and comes from safe sources. Vapers should be on the lookout for companies that do not openly state the source of their nicotine. Nicotine with a lower purity rating may not deliver the expected results and may contain other chemicals that are not being advertised.
- And who could forget water: often used as a medium to help stabilize vapor.
While the vast majority of those unfamiliar with vaping will be cautious about the ingredients on the list, it’s important to recognize that these are made with FDA regulated materials that are food and medical grade quality. The reason is that no one wants to come under fire from the law are be charged with hurting anyone. This simply wouldn’t be good business.
If you prefer fewer clouds and a simpler vaping experience that is more discreet, a higher-PG blend is the right choice. Those that are going the route of cloudchasing making shapes with big plumes of vapor should seek an e-liquid with more VG. The combinations are endless so experiment and see what works best for you.
Nicotine Content in E-liquid
E-liquids, like coffee, beer, cigarettes and many other American-made products come in a variety of nicotine strengths ranging from zero nicotine up to 36 milligrams of nicotine. It is important that you find the right strength for you if you are trying to transition from smoking to vaping. If you’re just picking up vaping for the nootropic effect, or interested in a pick-me-up that isn’t caffeine based (some of us are trying to quit coffee) then a lighter nicotine content is wise.
If you prefer fewer clouds and more getting down to business, a higher-PG blend is probably good for you. However, if you enjoy making shapes with the clouds and throwing up big plumes of vapor, more VG may be in order. You can also adjust this combination depending on how you want the vapor to feel on your tongue and throat.
Nicotine Salt in E-liquids
Nicotine salts have taken the vape world by storm, and many wonder whether the freebase solution is really all it’s cracked up to be. Many vape users wonder if this is the healthiest way to vape, or the exact opposite. So let’s break down the lingo once again and get to the truth of the matter.
For one, the salt-based e-liquid comes from the natural salts found in tobacco plants. Originally derived and brought to the United States market in the 1960’s by Phillip Morris company, synonymous with the Marlboro brand.
This marked a major breakthrough for smoking products as it was cheap to produce and left users craving higher levels of nicotine. The previous cigarettes of the 1950’s were left with a less competitive edge and thus the reason we know the Marlboro brand so well to this day.
So let’s break down the chemistry involved. The nicotine salt is conveniently made up of positively charged ionized nicotine molecules that are bound to negatively charged organic conjugates. Those how are trying to quit smoking were already at a disadvantage with the traditional vape liquid because they were accustomed to smoking cigarettes made with freebase nicotine from the past fifty years.
Nicotine salts are a lot smoother and does not give you that harsh “throat hit” like the more acidic nicotine does. So many are finding that Salt E-liquids are delivering what they’re craving and a better dose per hit.
When preparing a salt-based nicotine one will notice that it darkens the e-liquid it is mixed with. This is not the oxidation process that many e-liquids show when they’re stored for too long. More on that later!
How to Quit Smoking with E-liquid
Since we are so accustomed to smoking the freebase nicotine cigarettes, those who come from smoking and choose an e-liquid with too little nicotine at first may make vaping feel like a poor substitute. This means there’s a higher likelihood of going back to cigarettes.
The goal of many trying to transition out of smoking is to slowly decrease the amount of nicotine they consume until they are no longer reliant on it.
There is zero-nicotine e-liquid and for some that feels like the Mount Everest of quitting, but it is possible. Obviously this is the best product for those in serious danger from smoking and need to still experience the physical addiction from smoking. Which some experts will argue is much stronger an addiction than the actual chemical reactions which our bodies tend to build up a resistance too.
- A 12 mg e-liquid is the standard e-liquid equivalent to a light cigarette
- An 18 mg e-liquid is for those used to having a full strength cigarettes.
- 24 to 36 mg e-liquids are usually reserved for those who have been heavily chain smoking for years and need a very robust liquid that will satiate their cravings quickly.
We do not recommend anything above 12mg with the devices being much more powerful in today's vaping technology.
Choosing the Right E-liquid For Your Vape
There’s several important things to know when choosing a vaping juice online:
- The Throat Hit: How strongly the nicotine content and it’s flavors are delivered to the throat. Makes sense that some users won’t be as used to strong throaty vapor as others who’re less accustomed to smoke.
- The Flavor: As described earlier, there’s a whole universe of flavor profiles out there and new ones are being discovered every day. Some flavors will be intense and others will be nuanced
- Vapor Production: More vapor or less? Whoever is selling you vape fluid should be able to describe this aspect of the product because it makes a big difference to the experience at large.
Finally, the amount of vapor produced by the vapor can be important. Many independent vape stores are happy to tell you if a particular e-liquid is notorious for creating very dense clouds, or if it can be vaped discreetly with almost no visible vapor produced.
How to Store Your E-liquid Properly
Any avid vape enthusiast will want to take care of their equipment properly.
This care should be taken all the way down to the E-juice itself. The typical e-liquid on the market has some interesting qualities that mean it should be stored carefully.
Consider if any children are going to be around. It’s very important that children don’t ingest this liquid as it contains nicotine. Don’t store these substances out in the open either because light can damage them over time. Use a bottle with a child-proof lid if one hasn’t been provided to you by the vape supply store you purchase from.
This container shouldn’t be in direct sunlight anyway, as heat can damaged the quality of the e-liquid, so aim for somewhere dark and dry. E-liquids require a steeping process before the product itself is fully developed, this is like a good tea or cold brew coffee: the time involved in proper preparation is important. If the e-liquid is over-exposed to any of these factors it will greatly change the final product.
The Differences between E-liquid Vs. Salt E-liquid
While you can find both effective at treating a smoking addiction, one might find more success first transitioning to the Salt E-liquid. Many prefer the salt e-liquid as it is known to have a less harsh throat hit, but the vast majority of users still seek the traditional E-liquid. Find your preference and search our e-liquids as both are available in our store. And make sure to read our in-depth review of the Fresh Juice and the Jam Monster E-liquid.